Wednesday, July 23, 2014

LEARNING TO WALK

LEARNING TO WALK

Walked out this morning
into a broad green garden
with the rising sun in my eyes
and the first hint of the day’s heat
touching my face,
feeling as broad as the garden
and young as the day
and soaking up the heat
in my black tee-shirt,
walked straight forward
out of the gate,
through the wood,
along the river,
toward the mountain
and thought of the future
I could make in the world
if I walked toward it
like this,
with my face toward the hills
and my eyes full of light
and the earth sure
and solid beneath me,
walking on
with a fierce anticipation,
and a faithful expectation,
with the sun and the rain
and the wind on my skin…

LEARNING TO WALK
From RIVER FLOW: New and Selected Poems
© David Whyte and Many Rivers Press

Photo © David Whyte: July 2014
Sun Behind Sycamore Trees,
Littondale, Yorkshire.