Thursday, October 17, 2013

The Gluten-Free Craze

From: Kim, Real (&mostly) Balanced Ideas for Real Living

My new gluten-free LOVE!
(uncompensated LOVE)
Today is Day 4 of Gluten-free.  So far, so good.

Why? You may ask.  As a non-fan of jumping on the bandwagon, why go gluten-free?  It's just a fad, right?  Well, maybe, maybe not.  There is a lot of discussion and so-called scientific evidence to support both sides of the argument around gluten-free.  

So I decided to be my own guinea pig.  

So here is what I've found thus far:
  • I have no trouble finding gluten-free foods that I love
  • I miss my morning whole-grain toast just a little, but yummy gluten-free granola makes up for it
  • Day 3- "stuff" in my head that has been there a long time seems to be breaking up.  That's good, right?
  • Adding my daily Fiberwise is a good idea (which I've been a little lax on these 3 days.  That's how I know.)

My goal is to feel better.  Thyroid disease is kind of kicking my butt and traditional diet and exercise, yoga, changing/adjusting meds and other stuff doesn't seem to be making a difference.  So this is the next thing on the list.  I plan to stick with it initially for 1 week (half-way there) and see if it is a positive change.  After that, we'll see.

What is your experience with gluten-free?  Does it work for you?  I'd love to hear your responses.